Grace arrived 11 years ago on a flight from Scotland to Detroit, via Baltimore.
It was an escape I had arranged, and I couldn’t breathe easy  until I saw Grace
and her mother descending the escalator from the flight deck. My wife and I met
them and took them  home. The next morning I got down on the floor and talked
to Gracie — and photographed her — and we began to establish a powerful bond
that included all manner of things, including cameras. In the years that
followed there were parties, trips to the beach, an endless number of days at
the park, games, meals, some wonderful friends in the neighborhood and more.
And through it all, Gracie was my partner, and I documented it in photos, some
3,000 I believe. But the end was always inevitable and yesterday it came to
pass at 8:40 am as Grace and her mother left for a new life in Houston, Texas.
I had steeled myself against the inevitable, but once their truck was out of
site, the tears flowed. Today hasn’t been easy, but I have learned about moving
on, and I’m working on that. I’ll be good, and I trust that Gracie will as
well. But I will love her deeply until the day I die.