I hear that from time to time but usually in regards to photos that have an obvious technical challenge to them - like super macros, snow flake photos, etc. I think people realize that there is a technical challenge and translate that to requiring sophisticated equipment - so I never miss the point to explain to them that those photos were made with relatively ordinary gear.

Regarding knives and skillets - a not so popular former member of this list years ago remarked something to the effect of "If you enjoy a fantastic meal do you call the chef to your table and compliment him on the quality of his pots and pans?" That's a quote that often comes to my mind - both when visiting camera stores and when dining out!

Mark