I think that it was the U. S. Rubber company making Keds sneakers that colored the river.

On 7/15/2016 2:05 PM, Rick Womer wrote:
Uniroyal was in Naugatuck, and that was where they farmed the naugas.
I grew up about 10mi from there. Nasty-smelling town, and the
Naugatuck River was very colorful at times (depending, I suppose, on
the colors of the naugas whose hides they were processing).

Rick
http://photo.net/photos/RickW