Didn't say it WAS done that way, only that it COULD be done that way.

With "today's super-low-noise sensors" you could use a low flash power
and mask off portions of the Fresnel lens to make the circle of light
illuminating the bird small enough to not light the trees.

I shoot the scene first without the flash & bracket the hell out of it.

Then try it again with the Better Beamer. I'd try to mask it so it just
barely illuminated the bird's body.

That way, if the flash spooked the bird, I'd still have the first round
available to work with.