Last Saturday we had Nidan (2nd degree black belt) exams at the dojo. For the sake of comparison I shot with both the K-1 and the K-3ii. I used the Tamron 28-75/2.8 mostly on the K-3 and the Pentax 28-105 mostly on the K-1, but for the sake of comparison I did swap them for a bit. I varied apertures and shutter speeds on both, mostly shooting Tav a stop or two under.

For the sake of comparing the cameras, I posted the photos to flickr in "full resolution", i.e. whatever was left over when I was done cropping. The K-3 was a lot less sluggish than the K-1, but in crop mode on the K-1 a lot of the gap closed up.

As you can tell, the lighting in the room totally sucks. The room lights are very orange, there is skylight coming in from windows on both sides, plus the mats reflect green and the ceiling is tan. Fortunately, the lighting was about as good as it gets, with bright light, but no direct sunlight coming in.

fluidr should show the exif info on each shot, I tried to tag the lens being used. Also the LRC0**** photos are with the K-1, the LRC2**** photos are with the K-3. I forgot to apply additional noise reduction in lightroom where needed, so some of the noise gap could probably be cleaned up.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157670797123990

A bit of background on the two people testing. A few years ago, Nicola (in the first test) was hiking/mountain climbing on Mt Shasta (IIRC) and in strong winds was blown off the edge, sliding/falling down about 1300 feet of snow/mountainside. She suffered compound fractures in one of her legs, so the fact that she is not only alive but still has both feet, or is even walking, much less training in aikido are testaments to modern medicine and her spirit of will.

Nathan, the redhead in the second test, is the son of Linda Holiday, the head instructor at our dojo. She is the blonde woman on the examining panel that you can see in the background of a lot of the photos.