Liberty State Park in Jersey City.  It's right off the
New Jersey Turnpike's  Newark Bay extension (which goes
to Jersey City and the Holland Tunnel, not Newark).  I
think it's exit 14B.  You can also catch a ferry to the
statue and Ellis Island from there.

You will have the statue (from the back) with lower
Manhattan inthe background, I think.  Some of the day
cruises, such as Circle Line, etc., have short trips
that go down the Hudson into the harbor and circle the
statue, which might provide some better photo ops.

Steve