Bruce, whatever head you get you need to equip it with an Arca Swiss type QR
system - simply the best - I've used Kirk's pieces but RRS also supplies
quality items. I've used Kirk pieces for over 20 years and they've never let me
down.

I have a Kirk ball head but I mostly use a Bogen mini gear head for precise
composition control. I've converted it to a Arca Swiss QR system.

I currently use a Gitzo Mountaineer tripod for all my lenses/bodies including
my 600mm. It's carbon fiber, under 5 lbs with positive leg locks - not cheap
but it's probably the last tripod I'll ever need. Its light weight was a
deciding factor in choosing it.