Jostein Øksne wrote:
Not gonna happen I think. The big D max out at ISO 1600, and my wide-angle lens
have max aperture 3.5.
And damn you for seeding that thought!  :-)

If you have any friends that do astrophotography, they probably have an equatorial mount you could borrow.

Even if ISO maxes out at 1600, it would be interesting to see what you could get by underexposing a few stops.

I can't help much with the fast glass issue, but you could try some experiments with the glass you have, even if it's either not as wide, nor as fast, as you'd like, just to see what your camera would do.

Jostein