Ann and Mike came closest to the right answer.

This is a composition (I am not sure if it falls under the definition of scupture?) at the Institute Contemporary Art in Boston.
(That's why I thought Mark and a few others might be familiar with it.
It is a aboute 1 sq. meter cube consisting exclusively of needles.
https://www.icaboston.org/art/tara-donovan/untitled-pins
There are no magnets involved (although I expect the needles themselves might be slightly magnetized). The needles are held primarily by friction.

They do not allow visitors touching it.
I've been told that the composition is reassembled by staff every few months. I almost walked into it, as (unlike in the photo on the webpage above) it is in the middle of the room.

I hope you enjoyed this puzzle.

Cheers,

Igor