Stan,

Sorry to hear about that.

Just two weekends ago, I was photographing an ice-skating performance with the 60-250, staying at the top level of the bleechers.
Then I hear a having piece falling down, bouncing from the concrete floor.
(Fortunately, nobody was right below me, and my little daughter was about a foot to the side.)
It was the tripod mount from the lens.
I've never untightened it from the lens. And this time it came off by itself. (Actually, I've never looked at it, and if asked, from the memory, I would probably say that it cannot be detached easily, but if the screw is loosened, the collar can be rotated.)

I thought I was lucky it wasn't while I was holding the lense by the collar.

Igor