Jostein,

Yes, I think the combination of the sheer number of the photos and the RAM is likely the culprit.
I've seen this with fewer images as well.
When I have just a few photos (screen-full, i.e. screen-wide which is ~25), they do update if I wait long enough. With 900, only those that are visible seem to update. So, I can move them 25 at a time (which is only about 36 times), waiting in between...

I was just looking for a more practical way, in case I am missing one.

BTW, a similar "delayed-until-in-view" behavior is observed with the previews in the "matrix view", although those seem to update somewhat quicker...

Thanks,

Igor

PS. What I am trying to do is to cull a smaller set first by a very rough