John:

My impression of the DC Metro is very mixed: On one hand it has much nicer trains than those in most (if not all) US cities (where present).
On another hand, the frequency of the trains is not that great.
(My impression is that even in Boston and Manhattan, the train frequency is better, but I might be biased.)
My impression, that the coverage of the city in DC is subpar.

And yes, while writing my previous response, I was also thinking about a few "hidden jems" - subway stations in NYC. However, that doesn't change the otherwise extremely low key appearance of the extremely utilitarian NYC subway. (And don't take me wrong, NYC subway is very useful.)

The aspect that bothers me about NYC subway is the layout of the lines.
It is far from being _logical. I know, on one hand it is a historic inheritance (of how competing companies were running parallel lines which is, btw, rather fascinating). On another hand, it is also a reflection of the socio-economic layout of NYC. E.g. in Manhattan, there are no lines east of the green lines. And the organization of lines/routes along the same tracks is idiosyncratic.

As for Moscow Metro being a "show place", - it's always been difficult for me to imagine people living in the beautiful palaces and castles in Europe or in the RI mansions in the US. But I was somewhat surprised (or amused?) seeing tourists photographing subway stations in Moscow until I saw Chicago's L with my own eyes.

Igor