On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 02:20:53PM +0100, Chris Mitchell wrote:
> Those are the green things on top of the building. Pronounced lie-ver. Part
> eagle and part - wait for it - cormorant. Carrying a sprig of seaweed;
> liver apparantly being an Anglo Saxon word for seaweed. In the foreground
> are PDMLers Lisa, Mark, Karin and me.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dej58thlsj7f9l2/2016_1006_17201600~01.jpg?dl=0

Those of us around in the 1970s would also think you might be referring
to the two female members of your party ...

"The Liver Birds" was a very popular (and long-running) British sitcom
built around the premise of two young women sharing a flat (apartment...)
purportedly on Huskisson Street in Liverpool.

I recognise the Royal Liver building on Liverpool Pier Head, but the
strange tubular glass edifice in your picture is new to me - back when
I was visiting friends in Liverpool almost every weekend the newest bit
of controversial architecture was the Roman Catholic cathedral (or, as
it was colloquially known, "Paddy's wigwam") built in 1967.

My friends lived closer to the Anglican cathedral (in fact one lived on
Hope street), which is also where Huskisson Street can be found.

The them tune for "The Liver Birds" was performed by The Scaffold, a
Liverpool group also know for "Thank U Very Much", "Lily the Pink", &c.
I rather like "In My Liverpool Home", which mentions the two cathedrals.