Thanks, Alan. It's a hybrid, a cross of  White Oak and Bur Oak. Probably
planted by early French settlers around 1750 or earlier. There are literally
hundreds of Oak varieties native to North America but many imports as well. Not
sure about the origin of Bur and White Oak but both are common in Michigan and
probably native.

Paul via phone