When I was photographing a seminar at the dojo today, I tried photographing in square crop mode.

On the bright side, it worked great for the photos that I was taking. two people practicing Aikido can nearly fill a square composition, where they leave a lot of the 3:2 frame empty. On the down side, the raw files are no smaller. I also don't see any easy way of recovering (in lightroom) the image that was cropped off to either side, so the frames where someone's limb left the frame, I would have been better off shooting uncropped.

If the square crop gave us 24 MP square images (rather than 36 3:2) it would be awesome, it would save space on the card, and more importantly in the buffer. As it is, all it saves me is selecting a bunch of frames and cropping them square.