Dave,

I have never done this with an external HDD, but I have done that many times with internal ones. You can have multiple partitions on a drive. In this case, you'll have two partitions, one with Mac file system, the other one with NTFS. But that will not allow you easy sharing files between the two systems. Those would be two separate "compartments", one for each type of systems. (Strictly speaking, you can access NTFS from Mac, but read only, IIRC. And there are probably some tools on Windows that can allow you some access to the Mac file.)

If the HDD is 2TB or smaller, you can have it formatted as "FAT" filesystem (which you called MS-DOS), - and then it will be accessible by both Mac and PC.

To create two separate partitions, you'd need first to partition the HDD.
Under Windows, you can use the built-in "Disk Management" tool.
http://www.howtogeek.com/101862/how-to-manage-partitions-on-windows-without-downloading-any-other-software/

I haven't used one on Mac, but here is the description of it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/212836/how-to-use-your-macs-disk-utility-to-partition-wipe-repair-restore-and-copy-drives/
(I hope it's correct.)

Once you created two partitions on your external HDD (Don't make a mistake, and don't mess up your internal drive!), format each partition in its respective system. It might not matter, but I'd recommend the first partition for Windows, the second for Mac.

Actually, the workflow I'd suggest should be:
1. In Windows, use the Disk Management tool, and create the first partition of the desired size.
2. Format it (within the same Disk Management tool) as NTFS.
3. "Disconnect" the HDD, connect to Mac
4. Create the second partition under Mac, using the Mac tool.
5. Format that as a Mac parition.

Hope this helps,

Igor