Pardon the pun...
Last weekend I also tried out the K-1 with an APS-C crop lens, the
bargain basement DA-L 55-300 f/4-5.8. In crop mode you get ~15
megapixel
images. So how did it work? Here's a shot at 300mm, 1/1000 @ f/6.7
(which is only stopped down about half a stop from wide open at that
focal length), so depth of field is very thin. But where the feathers
of this bird (not the same Gray Jay as my previous shot) are within
DOF the sharpness is astonishing for a plastic-fantastic kit lens that
can be had for $179.00 brand new (from dealers who split up kit
items).

Full image (resized):
http://www.robertstech.com/temp/7e005323small.jpg

100% crop: