Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 6:03 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Looking for an ready to carry long ff lens

Alan C wrote:
Having read this thread with interest, I would say the 60-250 is your
best bet but it is not cheap. You could add a 1.4x too! Paul had great
success with this combination. I have an FA 100-300 which I used before
I acquired an HD 55-300. Despite the glowing reviews for the 55-300, I
have found it no better than the under-rated 100-300 which can be had
for a song.

Interesting.  I've found that Nicole's 55-300 is quite pleasantly sharp.
 There also seem to be three versions of that lens, the DA, the DA-L
and the WR.

It has a huge advantage over the 60-250 in that it can easily be carried
in my camera bag without displacing multiple other lenses too. Also the
fact that I can find them for under $300 used versus $800-900 for the
60-250. Since I do have use of the 80-200/2.8 I don't think that the
60-250 is enough smaller than it to make a huge difference.

---