IME, generally speaking Photo Black won't give as deep a black on matte papers
as Matte Black. On the other hand, Matte Black will sometimes run or smear on
some glossy and textured papers.

I mostly print on matte surface papers. In all the years I had the R2400, I
think I switched from Matte Black to Photo Black three times, each time to use
Photo Black on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper (my favorite non-matte paper
surface). That paper is a heavy, almost card stock, weight and produces a look
very similar to that of Kodabromide Glossy, air-dried without the use of a
ferrotyping machine for a satiny gloss look. Lots of depth and sharpness!