I've never used LR on Mac, so, I am not familiar with possible peculiarities. On Windows, it works this way: There are some LR print templates that set the page size, and some others that don't. So, it is a combination of choosing the template and "page setup" that is needed to be done in a particular order (to preserve or set the page size, and to get the template suitable for that size).

I just looked, and my LR has a 4x6 and a 5x7 print templates (#1 and #3 on the list, respectively) that are for a letter-size paper.
If you are choosing those, that's what might be happening.

But if you were to choose, say 5"x7" under "page setup", and then choose "maximize size" standard LR template (toward the bottom of the list), - you'd get the largest printable size on a 5"x7".

HTH,

Igor