The AF in the K-5 was terrible. Plain and simple. The k-7 was even
more reliable. It might have been slightly (not really though) slower
but when it locked you had a good lock. The K-5 IIs and K-3 are much,
much more reliable. The K-3 is the best focusing camera I have ever
used on static subjects. Even in almost total darkness it will lock on
to nearly anything. The K-1 is supposed to be even better. Don't
worry.