On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> Also, there are different exposure methodologies.  [...]
> If you're shooting raw, then you generally want to "expose
> to the right", in order to preserve the highlights,

Come again? ETTR actually endangers highlights. It's the shadows that
ETTR is supposed to help with. I sometimes ETTL to avoid clipping
highlights and so preserve them--the exact opposite direction.

> ... and then process for the
> final image in post processing.  This is particularly true on ISO invariant
> cameras such as the K-1, K-3, K-5 ...

Erm, this practice is much less useful now with low noise high ISO
cameras like the K-5, K-3 and K-1. Unless you are really pushing the
limits. I never bother thinking about ETTR at all, ever. I just adjust
the exposure in post if I see fit.

> Unfortunately, Pentax refuses to believe that people actually use their
> cameras as anything but large, expensive point and shoots, and don't give
> you a choice for what style of metering you want to optimize for.

Really, Larry. Do any of Nikon, Canon, Sony et al do better in this
regard? How is it Pentax's fault?

--
-bmw