On 1/24/2017 6:24 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:
I see it as a habit from the days of 35mm film, which was really
meaningful in digital before the explosion of megapixels.  35mm was a
rather low fidelity imaging source.  If you wanted a reasonable sized
print, with good detail, using a reasonably fast film, (varied with the
era but in the age of Tri-X ASA 400), depending on subject matter you
could get a decent 8x10 cropping at most 1/3-1/2 of the frame.  This was
decent by the standards of the day, today it would be considered awful
with lots of lost detail.  Today with a 16mp camera cropping away 2/3 of
the frame, (and assuming reasonable technique and a decent lens), you've
still got more data to play with than people had with early 2-4mp
DSLRs.  If only processing for the web, crop away, I say.

I still have a Nikon CoolScan IV ED with a max scan resolution of 2900
ppi; giving just over 10MP for the images - about the same as the K10D.
I scan 35mm slides & negatives using VueScan x64. I've managed to get
decent prints up to 16"x20" from scanned negatives (modern digital
hybrid C-print printers can give "acceptable" results down to 150 ppi).

I bought the Nikon scanner back in early 2003 because I didn't know when
Pentax might have a DSLR available (not being involved with PDML then I
had no clue where to look for Pentax rumors) ...

Or whether I was going to be able to afford one when they did.

The Nikon CoolScan was my back door into digital photography using a
Pentax film camera.