>...work with just one lens, to make it easier to concentrate on framing and composition.

Don't see how that would work in outdoor/nature photography.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Weir" <eew...@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Cropping

On Jan 24, 2017, at 8:37 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

I crop often. Sometimes radically. To focus more clearly on what interests me in the image. Am I a terrible photographer?

Don’t know where to start in responding to the responses. So many. So interesing. So helpful. Special thanks to Cotty, Bob, Larry, and Stan. Also Paul, John C, Ann, Igor, and Boris. I think I’ll try to summarize and maybe later respond to individual responses. I hope y’all will be able to find yourselves in the summary.

So what I heard was: Try frame to get what you want in the first place. Reduce the variables, e.g., work with just one lens, to make it easier to concentrate on framing and composition. Study composition, and work to get better at it. On the other hand, cropping is involved from beginning to end, from composing the shot before it’s taken to final editing for presentation. And it is the image presented that is important. Often circumstances, e.g., dynamic moving or changing subjects or settings, make it difficult to frame for the image you want. You can frame too tight, missing the image you wanted. Occasionally there’s a secondary image in the original image that can be brought out by cropping. Reframing in post is/may be an aesthetic necessity. Finally, aiming to frame right in the first placing and cropping in post both can help you see more creatively.

Again, thanks too all. I don’t know much, but a hell of a lot of what I know I learned from y’all.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

“Man has been a murderer forever.”