I don't have first-hand expertise with this.
From what I've read, - most (if not all?) document archives/libraries are
using scanners rather than photo cameras for this purpose these days.

Obviously, there are different types of scanners.
Typically, flatbed scanners are used for scanning fragile materials.
There are some large flatbed scanners, and I suspect there could be some that have provision for stitching very large scans. I've seen some references to handheld/wand type of scanners (I was rather surprised by that); I am guessing those could be used in case on sources that are too curved or falling apart.

Some companies that offer document scanning (including that for fragile documents and books) are bragging about custom-built specialized scanners.

I am curios: what type of challenge your friend is facing so that he/she is considering a non-scanner solution?

Igor