Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
This has been a fairly good year for movies.  LA LA Land is wonderful.
Manchester by the Sea is an emotional bombshell with great acting.
Patriot's day is exciting with interesting insights into terrorism and how
we react to it.  All pale, however when compared to Hidden Figures.

This is an important movie.  See it, on a big screen if possible.  Make
your children see it.  Make your grandchildren see it.

Agreed, it is a great story. I posted about it on facebook about a week ago:
https://www.facebook.com/ellarsee/posts/10155013362194673?pnref=story

TLDR; They did a great job telling the story, I wish they did a better job with the science, math, and computers in it.

It would also pair well with the book "The Right Stuff".

It is a scandal that this story has been overlooked for so long.  It needs
to be told, and to be spread all around our country.

BTW, it is quite entertaining, and the acting is superb.

Ann and I and some others here will relate to the Sputnik scare, hiding
under our desks at school and the drama of the first 7 Astronauts.  The
scenes of segregation and prejudice in the South of the early 1960 are
moving and disturbing, but true to what I saw.  Most importantly, however,
is the story of the black women who did most of the math on which our early
ventures into space were based is an incredible and inspiring tale of
courage, persistence and pride.

See it.  I promise you will be moved and inspired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/forgotten-black-women-
mathematicians-who-helped-win-wars-and-send-astronauts-space-180960393/
Dan Matyola