Okay, here's an interesting question.

Pentax lens - to - other makes of camera adaptor rings. They're out
there. Cheapies off eekBay and Amazon, and one or two decent makes.

Here's the problem. My son uses the A*85/1.4 on his Canon C100 video
camera a lot. He loves the creamy bokeh and minimal depth of field it
offers, and it does look fantastic with HD video. I got a rubbish
adaptor for him to use because the special mounts I had made years ago
need longer screws and I can't be arsed to find the thread type and
figure out the size so he could use that.

Instead, the cheap adaptors work okay, except they don't work very well
at keeping the lens from rotating on the adaptor. The locking screws
basically don't. I've hacked and slashed to try and make them lock
better but without precision drill parts and miniscule tap and die sets,
it's a pain.

I got one of these:

<http://srb-photographic.co.uk/canon-eos-camera-to-pentax-k-lens-
adaptor-10704-p.asp>

<http://tinyurl.com/hs4mhal>

and it's fine, but it exhibits one issue that all these bloody things do
- they orientate the lens so that what should be top dead centre of the
lens (at 12 o'clock) is out a bit and set at 2 o'clock. The reason for
this is to stop interference by the lens's actuator arm - it sticks out
into the throat of the camera and if not careful can damage said camera.

Except our A*85/1.4 doesn't actually have this actuator as I sliced it
off years ago!

You'd think that modifying an adaptor to be able to rotate the lens a
bit more round on the adaptor would be easy - far from it. The
tolerances are minimal in that flanges start interfering with each other
and once you get the damned thing lined up properly there's not enough
grip, or it wobbles and God knows what.

So we could use an adaptor that orientates the lens at 12 o'clock with
no fear of damage to the camera. Does anyone know of any adaptor that
allows this?

Dangerous asking you lot for suggestions. Sessoms you can keep quiet for
starters!

--

Cheers,
  Cotty