On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
> On 4/3/17, Bruce Walker, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>>https://medium.com/@bruce.walker/at-my-feet-b151de7b4eeb
>>
>>This is Fujifilm content -- sorry Pentax.
>
> Interesting. I found all the images rather low-key but then again you
> are shooting downwards ;-) Love the fact you've shot B and W. Did you
> shoot jpeg mono in cam or convert later?

These were all shot in colour and converted in Lightroom. All done by
creative tweakification; no presets. :)

I had intended to shoot them all in raw, but one of the Fuji's UI
quirks is to silently switch to jpeg for some of the modes, so half of
them turned out to be jpeg too.

Low key was my intent, btw. I pushed much of tones into the shadows
and punched up the highlights to emphasize lines and textures. Cranked
the contrast a lot.

>>I took Cotty's advice -- while ignoring Bob W's :)
>
> I can remember spouting the delights of the X20 but can't remember Bob's
> advice. Was it to avoid the X20 or look at something else?

He thought that the UI was annoying enough as to dis-recommend it.

> One thing of great use is : press and hold the 'DISP/BACK' button to
> turn to 'silent' mode, disabling sounds, AF assist lamp, flash etc.
> Press and hold to revert. The last thing I need for stealth pics is AF
> assist lamps!

Agreed. That's a trick I should try.

>>Using it indoors is another thing. Shooting the antics of my cats is
>>proving to be a royal pain in the ass.
>
> Hmm, I don't find a problem inside in low light. If the cats are black,
> I could see why ;-)

One is 18% grey, the other an orange tabby. No the problem is in any
auto modes the camera seems to always favour low shutter speeds rather
than higher ISOs. I'm not sure what the whole issue is yet, but all I
have so far is out of focus blurred shots of cats who have largely
left the frame.

> Have fun :-)

Thanks, Cotty!

--