I have never gotten to really know my cameras really well, but am
trying to change that. I learned something today that may be of
interest to the PDML (if I'm not the only one who didn't realize
this).

I got a K-01 (long ago) and have planned to use it mainly as a
time-lapse camera and also for astro work mounted on my Vixen Polarie
(tracker). So most of us are well aware of the fact that our Pentax
cameras have a built-in intervalometer. If they have a jack, they can
also use external intervalometers (for example to exceed the image
number limitations of the camera settings). The images are usually
then compiled into time-lapse "movies" using Photoshop or Picasa or
some such software.

But what I only learned today is that there is a separate way to make
time-lapse movies (in camera) using the MOVIE mode. On the K-01 and Q,
this is done by selecting "interval shooting" in the movie menu. On my
K-3 II, this is done by switching the switch to "Movie" and then
hitting the Drive Mode button (where your options are: Remote Control,
Remote Control Off, & Interval Movie Mode). Under "Interval Movie
Mode" you select your:
Recorded Pixels: 4K, HD, FullHD
Interval: (intervals of: 2 sec., 5 sec., 10 sec., 20 sec., 30 sec., 1
min., 5 min., 10 min., 30 min., and 1 hour.)
Recording Time: HR:MIN:SEC
Start Interval: (Now, or Set Time)
If Start Interval = Set Time then Start Time can be set HR:MIN

Interval Movie Mode results in an .AVI file. I believe you can pull
that AVI file into your video editing software to speed it up further,
if a clip is too long for your tastes.

Here is an example someone took with a K-3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGli2qH7ACM

Example taken with a K-01:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9kwWLVErw&feature=youtu.be

As an aside, the K-01 is supposed to be GREAT at either type of
time-lapse (movie or still composites) probably because it lacks a
viewfinder (which would need to be covered) and mirror, so it delivers
superb exposure control and even is said to handle night time to
daylight transitions (and vice versa) with out the need to deflicker.

It looks like most Pentax models since the K-01 and Q have this mode,
though minor details may vary. For example, the minimum recording
interval on a K-50 is 3 seconds (not 2).

I'm looking forward to trying this out on both my K-3 II and the K-01.

The downside to this movie mode (I believe) is that you don't have the
individual frames any more, and you don't have an HDR option as you
would if shooting intervals in still mode. So there are probably times
when you would want to use one mode over the other. However, The great
advantage to using the Interval Movie Mode (Movie > Interval Shooting)
is that you don’t have to deal with the hundreds or thousands of
individual high-res files in post-production to manually create the
movie file.

Hope someone else finds this interesting.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

--
“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ”
― Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above