Probably the best investment he could make for his first purchase given he already has the Nikon, and that the D5500 has one of the best imaging systems in it's class, a good lens, to replace the kit lens as the first order of business.

I don't think he could go wrong with the unstabilized version of the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I've done a lot of research on them, and at the current price of about $300 it's probably the best bang for the buck in a "normal" zoom. That lens compares pretty favorably for IQ to every other manufactures "pro" APS-C zoom in that range.

For example IIRC it's not quit as sharp in the center as the Pentax 16-50 but sharper in the corners at all focal lengths and f stops, with less CA, which is pretty true when compared to the Sigma.

Build quality isn't quite up to the OEM lenses. But I actually tied out the image stabilized version on a Nikon body, as my local camera store doesn't stock Pentax and it handles very nicely and easily matches the build quality of the Nikon body.

I don't know for sure if those lenses are still available new, the stabilized version isn't supposed to be nearly as good optically, though it should still blow the kit lens away. At that point I'd probably go for the Sigma, but it's selling for maybe $100-$150 more than the Tamron, still a lot less expensive than the Nikon version though.