Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

I have been scanning film since the early 1990s and have had quite a few
scanners, both negative and flatbed, over the years. Since about 2006, I've
owned and used the Nikon Coolscan IV and Coolscan V extensively. Either of them
with the automated 35mm feeder can scan a 6 frame strip very effectively in
batch mode using VueScan.

But…

The process is *NEVER* fast. A thirty six exposure roll is an hour or two worth
of work. A thirty six exposure roll of mounted slides is about four times that
because you can only load them one at a time. Add time if you select
individually which frames you want to scan, and if you want perfectly scanned,
usable, balanced JPEGs to pop out of the scanner with no further editing
required—lots of time.

It is far more practical if you have several dozens or even hundreds of frames
to scan is to wrap them up and send them off to someone like
http://www.scancafe.com … They'll do as good a job as you will 90-98% of the
time and whatever they charge is a FAR better use of your money and time than
buying a scanner.

My grief with scancafe is that it costs twice as much to get tiffs as it does to get jpegs. Sure, I'm mostly interested in the quick scan to see which photos are worth going deep and getting good scans, but it's no more work to scan them as Tiff as jpeg.

Buy and use a scanner when you have specific things that you want to do with
film photography that requires your personal control of the scanning process.
Buy a scanning service when you want to convert an archive of older film images
to digital in order that you can see them and share them.