Treena, if you're on a tight budget and always shoot in the same room, you could check
out a curtain track fixed to the ceiling.  You could have two or three tracks to use
two or three backdrops, and pull them to the side when not in use.  I've seen ads in
Shutterbug for something called a "Muslin Mover", which is sort of the same thing.

If you have tall enough lighting stands, you can probably get a crossbar to fit them,
which shouldn't cost much.  Manfrotto stuff is really modular, and they have something
to do almost any job.

Actual backdrop support systems aren't that expensive, though.  I got a JTL heavy duty
system (9 feet high, 6 to 12 feet wide) for only $220Cdn at Alt Camera in Toronto a
couple of years ago, and JTL has accessory top plates to use up to three crossbars at
a time.

Whatever you decide, I'd suggest using quality equipment, as it works better and lasts
longer.  If you have paying customers, you don't want something that doesn't work
well, or looks home-made.  However, a coat of black paint can make home-made look
"pro".  Hope this helps.

Pat White