I've run into an interesting problem with SD cards, between the metal contacts are plastic separators if they are bent in the least bit out of shape it can screw up the card seating properly and you'll get a variety of different error messages including but not limited to the card not being formatted and the card being unreadable. In most cases the stray plastic can be pushed back into position and the card will be read and written to by the device, just fine. I expect when it happens enough the plastic will break off, what happens after that is anyone's guess. I'd check that out.