If you think that selecting a new camera from scratch is hard -- so
many choices with hundreds of tiny detailed differences between them
-- just wait until you start selecting a Linux distro to run. Heh!
Good luck.

The Gimp is somewhere near Ps CS3 in ability lately. I expect it would
suit you. You still need a raw converter, but there are a few pretty
good ones that run under Linux, so you'll be okay there too.

Don't bet on running Photoshop CS5 under WINE. Check this out:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?iId=17&sClass=application

Make sure you get large RAM on your new laptop. 16 Gig or up.

--
-bmw