Sounds like a database corruption error.
One solution could be to make a file copy of the database file, make a fresh install of PSE and import the contents of the old db file, if PSE has a bulk import function.

I suspect the PSE database is based on SQLite. Ther could be generic SQLite db tools that repair corrupted bases too.

Jostein