Not free, but Photoshop CC has most of the basic tools & definitely has
the capability to add still photos.

On 6/2/2017 23:29, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

I wonder what software people are using for editing videos (on Windows),
preferably free or inexpensive.
I've been using Avidemux that is very powerful for trans-coding,
adjustments (brightness/contrast/WB/noise), etc. (including some batch
processing).
But what is missing in Avidemux is transitions between pieces, such as
fading, various types of moving-boundary transitions (linear, circular,
checker-board) between the two, etc, as well as possibility to add
frames with just text. All these capabilities are available in Youtube
video editor, which I've been using in the past, but I'd like to be able
to do that locally.
Ability to add some still photos to a video would be a plus.

Cotty is probably the biggest expert here in this area, and at first,
I was going to send this message just to him. But I am afraid he is
using too much of specialized software that is an overkill for me
(function- and price-wise). So, if somebody else has additional
information, I'd appreciate those suggestions too.

Thank you!

Igor