Maris  wrote:

> I don't have a monopod, but I've used my tripod, with legs
> still collapsed,as a monopod.

        this is a very viable alternative, especially w/ compact
        tripods. I've even thrust a "bundled up" 'pod up in the
        air several feet w/ a FishEye on self-timer w/ quite
        interesting results     ;^)

> My question - doesn't the slow shutter speed result in image
> blur, as the students walk across the stage, etc.?

        Yep - that's why film speed is your best asset, even at the
        expense of more graininess. You want as fast a shutter as
        feasible as lighting, subject, and camear movement are all
        conspiring against you. Grainier stop action will beat fine-
        grained blur every time!   Been There - Done That

        Bill ( ... who would push TMZ to 6400 or 12,500asa)