Maris wrote:
> Doesn't the slow shutter speed result in image blur, as the
> students walk across the stage, etc.?

Hi Maris,

Yes, absolutely.  While a bit of image blur from body movement might be
acceptable in some types of pictures -- perhaps even adding to the artistic
content of the image -- the shot you describe would probably be perceived to
suffer from the presence of such blur.  I tend to avoid the type of shot you
describe if I'm using slower shutter speeds.  Faster glass -- or faster film
-- would certainly help in such a situation.

Paul Stregevsky commented about using multiple bodies on multiple tripods
during indoor events, while "roaming" with a monopod-mounted rig.  That's
not practical in my particular case, since the performances with the young
children are usually short (about an hour), roaming around during the
performances is discouraged, and the presence of unattended tripods along
the limited open space on the sides of the auditorium represents a
considerable safety hazard.  But this might be a viable option under
different circumstances.  For instance, this would probably be a great way
to really capture an event if one was working with assistants, so that the
tripods could be closely monitored.  I think Paul's idea of shooting ~after~
the performances is a great idea too -- I hadn't given much thought to this,
but I may try it in the future.  In my case, it might also be interesting to
capture shots of the kids preparing for a performance (in the adjoining
classrooms) ~before~ an event.

I don't feel like Shel started a primes-vs.-zooms argument at all.  He asked
an-always relevant rhetorical question that certainly got me thinking about
all the considerations that come into play when I decide what gear to take
along.  For me, both types of lenses have their advantages -- it's simply a
matter of making the best compromise.

I'd love to get my hands on a decent 200/2.8 -- I'd regard that as a
~complement~ to, rather than a replacement for, my A70-210/4.  I think I'd
get a lot of use out of it, but it's simply out of reach economically.  Mark
Roberts mentions his 80-200/2.8.  I know that the manual-focus version of
the Tokina 80-200/2.8 zoom (ATX 828, IIRC) is not too terribly expensive on
the used market.  I've often wondered if I should look for one of these to
replace my A70-210/4, mainly for the extra stop.  Anyone know how these two
zooms compare, apart from the one-stop difference in speed?  And how does
the Tokina stack up, at 200mm and wide-open, against any of the Pentax
200/2.8's?  Also, anyone know how the slower Pentax 200's -- say the 200/4
-- stack up against the A70-210/4 at 200mm?  That is, does it make sense to
get, e.g., a K, M, or A 200/4 rather than using the A70-210/4 at 200mm and
wide open?  Can a 200/2.5 even be found, or are these rare as hen's teeth?
Seems like this would be the ideal prime at this focal length.  Thanks in
advance to anyone with some information to share on any of these lenses.

And finally, is there any truth to the rumor that the pointed-haired boss on
Dilbert is being groomed for an executive VP position at Kodak?  ;-)

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY