In this case it is essentially a big shopping mall and transportation hub. It is a rather fascinating structure and space near ground zero ...
quoting a wiki page
"An/oculus/is a circular opening in the centre of a dome or in a wall. Originating in antiquity, it is a feature of Byzantine and Neoclassical architecture."

The architect is  Santiago Calatrava

I took this last summer - when it wasn't quite finished - the flag is hanging from the platform where the tourists are in this year's shot after I emrged from
the PATH train station...

https://annsan.smugmug.com/On-the-Road-or-On-Foot/2016-and-all-that/i-m9WsBPB

I wish they hadn't turned it in to a shopping experience

ann