Don't know about that. Sounds like you know more about it than I do.

I do know that California Redwoods were heavily logged, back in logging days, 80-90% cut down. And I know, while there are a few old growth Redwoods in the Berkeley Hills, most I have seen are not that old (because they aren't that big). And Berkeley is perfect for Redwoods, since Redwoods like fog. So I suspect these were planted, or some were planted (since Redwoods spread), but no idea when or why. But it is EXTREMELY likely the hills were covered with Redwoods to begin with, so I would view them as replacement Redwoods if they were planted.

HTH, Marnie aka Doe