Besides "no-card" activations, I wonder if it might also count those actuations when you check the WB. And checking for the dust...

 John Francis Tue, 29 Aug 2017 16:51:08 -0700 wrote:

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:23:09AM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:

Gonz wrote:
> Hmm, but that only accounts for 6 lost frames no?  Or perhaps it skips
> other 000 instances, like from 999 to 001?

I was wondering when somebody else would notice that ...

d'Oh!

I wonder if bracketing in Live View would do it.

I rather doubt that - I find it hard to imagine anything that would only result in a deficit of 50-60 frames if it was related to any mode setting on the camera. It would have to be something you only do once in every thousand exposures.