John,

If I understood you correctly, you are assuming the photo is printed on the front surface of the glass. My understanding is that it is printed on the back surface of the glass. So, in principle, you have the same number of surfaces to reflect from, as in case of a photo behind the glass.

(The glass is providing important protection from UV, which reduces fading of colors. I suspect, it is the same in case of the dyes on glass.)

Cheers,

Igor