Sent: 15 October, 2017 11:11 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: GESO: Portsmouth

On 15 October 2017 at 05:36 Alan C <c...@lantic.net> wrote:

We were able to visit Portsmouth on our UK trip. Without trying to bore
anyone, here are some shots. HMS Warrior is an Ironclad warship of the 19th century with supplementary steam power. She never fired a shot in anger but, such was her power, she was the perfect deterrent for over 30 years. You all know HMS Victory which remains the Flagship of the Royal Navy with Captain &
Crew. The restoration of her rigging will only be completed in 2025. Note
that Nelson's bunk is between two cannons. In fact the whole crew lived
among the cannons. Warrior & Victory both had over 100 guns on several
levels & could deliver devastating broadsides. The Mary Rose exhibition,
only recently opened, is quite amazing. HMS Queen Elizabeth, the Royal
Navy's latest Aircraft Carrier, was in dock. The Emirates Spinnaker Tower is
impressive but we didn't get a chance to go up there, nor visit the
Submarine base on the other side of the harbour. If you contemplate a visit,
you will need a couple of days to do it justice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wisselstroom/albums/72157687082870121

Warrior's a bit of a swizz. It was restored not far from here and I knew one of the project managers. Wood of suitable size to recreate the masts was just not available in this country and prohibitively expensive from abroad, so they were
recreated in metal.  All of the steam machinery was gone so a sheet metal
reproduction, moved by electricity, was built.

---