I hope that means I may finally find a replacement for my Tokina 28-70 ATX-Pro
f/2.8.

The Sigma 24-70 is all right, but I really loved that Tokina lens.

On 10/27/2017 14:45, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Although I cannot find the official announcement on the Pentax website,
the way it is quoted (or possibly paraphrased?) says:
"Newly developed ring-shaped SDM"

See it e.g. also on this site:
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/hd_pentax_d_fa_50mm_f1_4_sdm_aw_and_hd_pentax_da_11_18mm_f2_8

So, we can hope it will not have the same problem.

Regarding Tamron origin. I sort of doubt that.
I just googled, and there is no 11-18 /2.8 lens from Tamron so far.
Tamron 11-18 is f/4.5-5.6, which is much slower, and also a variable aperture
lens. That tells me that the optical design is most likely different.

  However, there is a Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm/2.8.
  Remembering the previous collaboration and association of Pentax with Tokina,
I wonder if there are common roots of that Tokina lens and the upcoming Pentax
lens.
If you were to look at that Tokina lens, - it seems to be very similar:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882235-REG/Tokina_atx116prodxc_ii_AT_X_116_PRO_DX_II.html

Regards,

Igor