Rick Womer wrote:

>Very nice! Is the color as it was on the slides?
>
>I have about 20k slides and wonder how much the color will have shifted
>when I finally have time to scan some of them.

The color seems to have shifted very little, if at all. Mind you, the
two slides that made up that image are only from 2001, which isn't
very old in the grand scheme of things. Some of my slides from the
1990's have some obvious color fading, but nothing that's too
difficult to correct.

I suspect that E6 slides loose some detail and resolution with age;
the dye clouds that make up the grain structure seem to soften and
merge with age. At least that's the impression I get. My slide scanner
is a Minolta Scan Dual IV with a resolution of 3200dpi, which seems to
be greater than the resolution of almost all the slides I've scanned
so far. (It yields around a 13 megapixel file.)

The biggest problem I've encountered is fungus. There's a particular
kind of fungus that enjoys film emulsion and a few of my slides,
despite being kept in PrintFile sleeves and stored in dry
environments, have been infected. It's a bugger to clean up in
Photoshop. I'm very glad I didn't wait any longer to start scanning in
my old stuff.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com