Nothing is safe if one doesn't know what forces might be unleashed.   It would seem that the drilling company didn't have even one competent geologist, and one high school chemist on staff.  But then at least they didn't decided to stress test an operating graphite nuclear reactor, to destruction,  though I doubt the technicians at Chernobyl realized that they were stressing it to destruction, and if anyone did, it was probably realized too late...