With dogs I think you have to go with a factorial...

On 1/13/2018 8:13 PM, John Coyle wrote:
Others will be better mathematicians than I am, but I might suggest N^N-1,
based on my own
experience, especially when dogs are included!

John in Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Igor PDML-StR
Sent: Sunday, 14 January 2018 7:48 AM
To: PDML@pdml.net
Subject: Multiple takes of group photos (thinking out loud)

Occasionally I am asked to take a group photo.
Every time I am choosing the best (or even usable) photo from the set, I am
struggling with finding
one. The reason is that at any given moment someone takes less then the best
pose, facial
expression, ...
So, you end up with one photo where it's better for one person, and another one
for another
person...

So, I've been thinking about some empirical formula for the number of photos I
need to take to
ensure I could choose one where everybody is OK.
When I have 1 person, the first photo will be bad, so, I need to take an extra
(or two). So, for 1
person:  1+1 (or 1+2) photos.
For 2 people I will have about two bad ones (one for each), so, 2+1 (or
2+2).

One might think that for N people, I'd need N+1 (or N+2)...
But that's wrong, because in addition to everybody having individual bad
moments, I will have a
combination of bad poses in more then one person, plus, people getting
distracted when the crowd
grows close to 10 and above.
The deduction and combinatorics does not seem to work well here, but I suspect
that statistically,
I'd need N^2+1 or even N!+1  (where
N!=1*2*3*...*N) to optimize the probability of finding one photo where
everybody looks fine.

Ghm...

Igor

    - P.J. O'Rourke