I mean, if it was real, what could one do?

Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel J. Matyola" <danmaty...@gmail.com>
Subject: A bit of excitement yesterday

We are at the beginning of our annual sojourn on Maui.

Yesterday, at a little after 8:00 AM, we were having breakfast at a lovely
beachfront restaurant   All of a sudden my phone started to scream, as did
those of my wife, my son and all the other patrons in the restaurant.
Picking up my phone, I read: "Emergency alert -- BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT
INBOUND TO HAWAII.  SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER.  THIS IS NOT A DRILL."

I looked at it a few times, looked around the room at the other patrons,
shrugged and went back to my breakfast. I mean, if it was real, what could one do? go to the basement, so the building could collapse on me? Head up
the mountain, where I would be more exposed to blast and radiation from an
explosion at Pearl Harbor?  Not much would help.  After all, if one is to
die, why not do it in paradise with a glass of fresh guava juice and Eggs
Benedict?

All of the other patrons in the restaurant -- probably mostly Canadians --
also shrugged, put their phones down, and continued with breakfast.

It took 38 minutes for the "authorities" to issue a retraction through the
emergency system.  My son was able to find a couple of reliable tweets
stating it was a false alarm within about 10 minutes, but still, the delay
was inexcusable.

Elsewhere in Hawaii, there was real panic.  In Honolulu, hospital patients
were moved from their beds to the basement.  tourists panicked on Waikiki.
Children were in tears.  The biggest problem is that, if there ever is a
real alert, who would believe it.

An hour after the event, CNN was covering nothing else.  The mistake
appears to have been human error, at the level of the state emergency
center in the crater of Diamond Head, and even the senior military on
Hawaii (who would be the first to know of a real attack) were caught by
surprise and confused.

On Maui, most were more concerned with the high surf warnings than the
ballistic missile warning.

A bit of excitement in the midst of the serenity of paradise.

Dan Matyola