Joe,

Here is a recommendation of a different sort.  I don't know if you were at
the pavilion for a long or short time.  I've found that patience is a big
virtue when using an A100/2.8 Marco.

Camp out by where the butterflies are.  They run off as you approach, but
often this is just a 3 or 4 foot circle move as you scare them.  They seem to
circle back to where they are feeding/looking and continue.  So scout out
some good spots and sit down and wait for them!  You can get 1:2 to 1:4 shots
pretty easily this way.

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< The Albuquerque Botanical Garden has installed a butterfly pavilion, so
 off I went today with my FA 100 mm. f2.8 macro and Sigma APO 70-300
 f4.0-5.6 macro. The critters were a bit skittish for close-ups, so off
 came the 100 mm. and on went the Sigma. It has 1:2 macro at 300 mm. and
 does pretty well, but the aperture is only f5.6. The day was a little
 dark, so to get a decent shutter speed for hand-holding, I had to bump
 my ISO 400 stuff up to 800. Even still, I was often shooting 1/350 at
 f5.6.

 So here's what I need:

 A zoom range of about 80-200 mm.

 Macro (magnification) capability of at least 1:3.

 Constant f2.8 aperture.

 Any recommendations? (Recommendations of the type "Get real, Joe" are
 not needed. Let's save bandwith here.)      >>