On 2018-02-20 06:30, Rick Womer wrote:
Two external drives are now connected to my MBP, and are working
normally. The photo drive shows up on my MBP, but won't open, and Disk
Utility tells me (in red) that it can't be un-mounted in order to be
repaired.

you describe two problems:

1) your Mini isn't recognizing any drives — by this i assume you mean the drives aren't showing in Finder
  - try mounting them from within Disk Utility
- if that doesn't work, reboot your Mini with the shift key held down — does that change the situation? that clears caches and disables third part extensions; if the drives do mount, then reboot again without the shift key, are the drives are no longer recognized? that indicates a software configuration problem: consider what extensions you may have installed - if the shift key boot doesn't change anything, i would suspect system software corruption or a hardware problem (such as with Firewire port); restoring the system from Time Machine back to before the problem occurred would tell you whether it is corrupted software; if that doesn't fix it, signs point to a hardware issue

2) your MBP has trouble with one drive — "can't be unmounted"
- reboot MBP and try again with no applications open; instead of unmounting via Disk Utility, use the Finder — it usually gives you a more informative message as to why unmount failed - open the Console application and put >disk< in the search box; do you see lines such as "(date) kernel disk0s2: I/O error."? if so there is a problem with the hard drive; it could be the drive itself, the cable, or the case (with the Firewire adapter circuit); i have even seen USB hubs (for usb drives) and failing power adapters cause such problem - if there aren't I/O error messages, it may simply be corruption of the drive contents, and Disk Utility may or may not be able to repair it if you can unmount it